The Salsa, Rumba, Cha-cha-cha, Merengue are all dance forms that are today extremely popular all over the world. Originating in the South American continent, today these forms of Latin dance are done in almost all countries, thanks to the widespread popularity of reality dance shows that feature these dances. As with most other dance forms, the attire that is worn during a routine is extremely important to Latin dances as well. The dance forms are synonymous with grace, energy, and passion, and these are reflected in their costumes as well. The clothes and the shoes form an important part of Latin dancing. In this article, we tell you how women need to choose the appropriate shoes for Latin dancing.
Choosing Dance Shoes for Women
Most beginners to Latin dancing remain under the assumption that in order to dance these forms you need to wear heels. While heels are important to Latin dancing as they add a sense of grace to the performance, it is not impossible to dance these wearing flats or even bare feet. So, if the heels are what are serving as deterrent to your dancing ambitions, then set them aside. For flats, choose from jazz shoes or even ballet flats. Avoid wearing open-toed sandals and flip-flops are a definite big no-no.
If you do not have a problem with wearing heels though, then opt for shoes that have heels which are two to three inches high. Always opt for shoes that offer some sort of ankle support. While starting out, you can wear low heeled shoes, but if you are performing on a public stage or even taking part in some competition, then it is important that you wear proper Latin dance shoes. Another thing that is important is the width of the heels. As a beginner you can opt for box heels that allow you the necessary grip, but as you advance in levels, you need to be progress to wearing thinner heels.
There are many different styles of shoes that you can choose from. From pumps that are open at the sides to open toed sandals that have an ankle strap, the shoes that you choose ultimately depends on what type of shoes you are comfortable with. You can also choose to wear pumps with ankle straps. There are many tips that you should keep in mind while choosing Latin dance shoes.
Given below are the things that you need to keep in mind when you go shoe shopping.
- While picking out the shoes, first check how much they weigh by holding them in your hands. It is important that a pair of good Latin dance shoes be lightweight.
- Always try out the different shoes that you have picked out. If you intend to wear socks or stockings while dancing, then try them out with the socks. Comfort is the most important thing that you need to look for while picking out dance shoes.
- You will need to make a decision between leather shoes and synthetic shoes. While with leather shoes, there is the added advantage of having the leather stretch and mold according to your feet, with synthetic shoes your feet are able to breathe properly.
- Always try and pick out shoes that have wide straps. These straps will stretch properly without overburdening themselves and thus provide you with more support.
- Another decision that you will need to make is whether you want closed shoes or open toed shoes. With open toed shoes you will have more breathing space but there is a possibility that your toes will slide forward becoming uncomfortable. Closed toe shoes do not allow your feet to breathe.
- Try out different brands of shoes, and look for shoes that fit well and hug your feet. Ensure that they are not too tight as that may cause blisters.
Many women prefer opting for dance shoes in which your toes are as close to the front of the shoes as possible so that they can point their toes easily and feel the ground. Once you have bought the shoes, ensure that you take care of them well. Polish them and oil them on a regular basis to prevent them from cracking. Also you need to brush the soles so that they do not get ruined by the dirt attached to them. Choosing the right Latin dance shoes is very important so that you can perfect your movements and also ensure that there is no injury of any sort. With the right dance shoes, you will be able to perform the quick movements of Latin dance forms with ease and grace.