Belly dance exact origin is unclear, but it can be traced to the regions of Middle East, Africa, and the Mediterranean. The Arabic word for belly dancing is Raqs Sharqi, and it is known in Turkish as Oryantal dansi which means exotic dance. This dance is uniquely designed for the female body the emphasis being on the ab, hips, and chest moves. With these moves you can tone up your body easily.
- According to the intensity of belly dance, it can help in weight loss. In a high-intensity belly dancing session you can burn around 300 calories per hour.
- This form of dance helps in clearing up the congestion formed in the pelvic area, hence it aids in decreasing the pre-menstrual syndrome.
- The moves of belly dance form greatly help in toning up the muscles. It is a full body workout and works with all muscles to tone and strengthen the muscles and improve the body's flexibility.
- It is not just for your bodily health, but can also serve as a good break from the hectic life as this workout is fun, and the graceful movement in belly dance helps to relax.
- It is one of the weight bearing exercises and thus help in increasing the bone density and prevent disorders like osteoporosis.
- This workout is especially beneficial for people suffering from back pain and joint pain, as the moves of belly dance put the joint of the back and the hips in a repetitive but gentle motion, which aid in the flow of synovial fluid in the joints, which relieve from the joint and back aches.
- Another unique benefit of this workout is that this dance form was used by women to ease the pain experienced during childbirth in earlier times.
Starting the Workout
- First of all you need to consult your health care provider, if you have any health condition. As people who are recovering from some injury or surgery might need to avoid this dance form for some time, till their body heals.
- You will have to find a dance teacher who is experienced in this art of dancing. Inform your teacher what your goal is - weight loss, physical therapy, or learning a new dance form. An experienced teacher will form a routine according to your need and will help you achieve your goal.
- It is better if you join a class with other students, as you will get more insight into the dance form.
- Belly dancing is done with bare feet, so you don't need to buy any special dance shoes. All you need is a pair of harem pants and you are good to go.
- Some of the basic steps when learning belly dance are shimmy, slide, hip circle, Arabic walk, and snake arms. These workout for beginners are easy to learn, and the hip circle is the best move for toning the hip area.
- Once you get better with these basic steps, you can move on to the advanced moves.